The Business Connection Services...Since 1993
Business Coaching, Employee Training, Mediation Services... 100% Woman Owned Operated... email@example.com
1. Managers and directors, even supervisors tend to forget that before the individual was in a management position, they were a person!
2. Provide clear and concise directions. Not everyone learns or process information in the same way. Set your people up for success.
3. Remember, you hired this person because they knew what to do. Now trust them to do the job correctly. It may not be in the precise manner in which you would proceed, but it doesn't make it wrong, just different.
4. Most people choose to do the job well and effectively. Allow for some independence and creativity. As long as the results are what is required, how they get there is generally not an issue.
5. The number one issue with people today is that they are not heard. Listening to your employees is a sign of respect and providing attention is the basic component of love. People know that you like and respect them when you take time to listen.
6. When you were correcting your children it was important to separate the problem from the person. It is the same here. People are not the problem, the behavior or the situation is. Remember to treat people respectfully, even when you have to alter a person's behavior.
7. My mom always reminded me that everyone is at least as smart as you. She meant that others have valuable opinions, creative ideas, and ways to do something or solve an issue. Allow others to have ideas, opinions and suggestions. The timing for the innovation may not be right, but that does not make the suggestion or idea wrong.
8. Withholding pertinent information from your team is not being a great manager or boss, it is a power play. It is a way of telling others that you are more powerful or more valuable than they are. We all have important roles to play, don't make yours one that sabotages the whole team.
9. Remember there are no reasons for "pet employees." Treat everyone with equal respect and attention. It undermines the entire department to have favorites. These behaviors not only create bad will, but can sabotage projects and undermine entire organizations.
10. Rise to the level of a great manager. Take responsibility for your actions. Take the blame for the department or team when things go awry and pass on the praise to the team when things go well.
You can't even imagine the value of good will from your employees and how much they are willing to go the extra mile for someone who has their back in tough times and sings their praises when things go well.